Christmas is a time for making memories and enjoying celebrating with friends and family.
If you’re having guests for Christmas Eve dinner or Christmas lunch it’s important to prepare well in advance, so you’re free to enjoy the magic moments as they unfold.
Our interiors expert, Cato, says:
- Make sure you know exactly how many people are attending, then you can ensure there is space and suitable, comfortable seating for all. Benches and stools are a great alternative if table space is tight.
- Think about your table decorations and centre piece. Tealights and candles help create a wonderful festive atmosphere.
- You could use a floral centre piece made from evergreen foliage such as eucalyptus, ivy and holly from your garden or from a nearby florist’s. Don’t go for anything too high or people won’t be able to see or talk over your arrangement.
- Don’t forget your table cloths, napkins, cutlery and crockery too. It’s a good idea to set your table a couple of hours before guests arrive, so you can give them your full attention when they arrive. You could colour coordinate your tableware too or mix and match vintage and more modern items for added interest.
- Use vintage French linen tea towels instead of napkins as they are a more useful size for guests and are much more tactile than some modern napkins.
- Instead of adding crackers to your table, why not use pages from interesting vintage books that are no longer intact and need repurposing. I upcycle pages from a 1940s book that included tips for magic tricks and origami to try. Each is neatly tied up with garden twine. These unique, personal touches should keep your guests entertained and spark conversations while you’re otherwise engaged.
The following items, excluding the table scrolls, are available from our shop in Mantle Street in Wellington or via mail order by calling 01823 660076.
Geometric terrarium (pictured above)
18cm x 38cm x 22cm. £42
Crackle glaze tealight holder (pictured above)
Repurpose pages from vintage books that are no longer intact instead of crackers to keep guests entertained.
Vintage French linen tea towels
Star tealight holder
H6.5 x 15 x 15cm. £21.50
L146cm, W41cm. £14